Soul Surviving

My journey began with a tragic car accident about two years ago. My husband and one of our friends were killed, and I sustained critical injuries. These are my experiences and lessons learned along the path toward healing, growth, and a new life. I may also include whatever else comes to mind that I find worthy of posting.

Saturday, August 09, 2008

A FUNNY THING (OR 3) HAPPENED ON MY WAY TO HEALING AND A NEW LIFE

As my introduction states, I planned to share my experiences on my way to "healing, growth and a new life". I started it after surviving critical injuries sustained in an accident, in which my husband and one of our best friends were killed almost instantly. I wanted to tell a story that was all onward and upward. Silly me. Of course there were setbacks. The worst included 3 more major surgeries, as well as numerous outpatient surgical procedures. I don't want to bore you with medical details, but I must say that each of the major surgeries had 2 annoying things in common. Contrary to what the surgeons promised, they were more complicated and thus involved a longer hospital stay. The docs meant well, but during the surgeries they discovered they were a lot trickier than they thought. For example, the 1-night stay lasted 1 week; the 2-inch incision extended to 8 inches. This left me with a vertical scar down my abdomen that makes me look like I was gutted like a fish. (At least it's fun making up stories about how I got all the scars.) Then there was a 3rd spinal surgery. Contrary to expectations after the 1st two, the pain kept increasing. The rods felt like they were slicing up and down my spine like steak knives, but I was told not possible, nothing movable by then. Nevertheless, it was thought that removal of the rods might help with the pain. (It didn't.) Turned out I was right. Due to lack of healing in parts of the fusion, the rods were loose. So to review, the rods went in, the rods came out, the rods played pinochle...sorry, I mean they went in again, and finally came out. This 3rd spinal surgery was followed by the worst post surgical care yet. I called my friend to come pick me up after 3 nights so I could leave AMA. I was not zonked on morhpine this time. I was lucid and livid. My friend did come, but she got the latest mishap straightened out so I stayed until discharged. You might think my back would be grateful after all I had gone through for it. But the initial damage and then a lot more from all that digging around to get the rods in and out, left it extremely vindictive. You also might wonder why I so miraculously survived the accident and defied the initial prognosis of paralysis, just to endure all this further trauma. I believe it's because the Universe had to give me a bigger kick in the behind to get my attention. I now can see how beneficial the setbacks were. For example, I was still making futile efforts to go back to work. Only after the 3rd spinal surgery did I realize this would not lead me to "healing and a new life". Prior to "retiring", some said I must have had so much faith to get through the loss of my husband and so much physical trauma at the same time. I don't understand that, but it did take a lot of faith to give up my 30-yr. career as a professional workaholic with no idea how I would survive. (There's that word again.) At least I'd learned enough by then to know that it would all work out just as it should, however that might be. It is two years later, and I can confirm that I've had everything I need when I need it. This includes most significantly the time to focus on transforming my life. I'd like to share more about that in future posts.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:35 AM, Blogger Megan (Meg) said…

    Hi Lotus :)

    Its been awhile, but I had to see if you had written more about your journey of survival & growth since we last spoke in 'cyberspace' (and I'm happy to see that you have).

    I say it again - you are one of the most inspiring people I have ever had the pleasure to talk to, and read about in your stories.

    Such courage and inspiration - I know you will 'pooh-pooh' this(!), but truly, you give me strength. I do appreciate your linking to my self-help site too, but I continue to find myself in awe at your journey.

    I can relate to so much of what you say, including those horrible hospital experiences - have had some absolutely awful ones too, and many an escapadee!

    Facing a lifetime of perhaps, never healing, to the degree I wish and hope for, no matter how much I might deceive myself.

    It was providence that brought me here again, tonight I think! I am re-exploring my life, after another surgery. .... slowly moving into remission, and given hope for the first time in years

    - perhaps I may be able to return to my work, a 'normal' life (whatever that may be!)....I had been starting to think ... perhaps ...

    But I deluded myself, and sank into a deep depression, when I realized the reality - no, I would never return to my previously, seriously 'professional workaholic' life

    (yes, I too was like this - I did not know how to live life other than in workaholic mode) - and I too, was worried about how I would survive - almost identical to your thoughts in this post!

    Why me, I thought, self-pity starting to pour in - just when I was hoping.... How much more can one take? But yes... I too, think I needed a 'bigger kick from the universe'!

    And hence, your words provided great comfort to me...

    "... I now can see how beneficial the setbacks were. ... still making futile efforts to go back to work. ...At least I'd learned enough by then to know that it would all work out just as it should, however that might be. It is two years later, and I can confirm that I've had everything I need when I need it. .."

    I realized then Lotus, after reading your post, that there are other things I can do... life is not over. I cannot predict the future. I don't have to be alone, struggling and fearful for the rest of my life... things will work out, as they always have...

    I will now trust that, as you say, 'everything I need [will be there] when I need it'! Learning acceptance is key to this too.

    Thank you so much Lotus.
    Please share more!

    Love and Hugs, Megan (Meg) xx/oo

    PS - I think you have a 'book' within you. Do you think you might write about your life one day in full for publication? I would read it - many would I think.

     
  • At 10:27 PM, Blogger Lotus said…

    Dear Meg,

    I was so happy to check my blog and find another comment from you. I'm especially happy that it reminded you of what your soul knew already.

    You're right, I really don't understand how my posts amount to a story of courage. I can see, however, you would relate to this particular post.

    It's amazing how many synchronicities there are in our experiences. Especially because I wrote that post primarily because of your encouragement. I certainly didn't expect the topic would be so relevant to you. I had been reluctant to write this one because here it was - yrs. later & I'm still trying to escape from hospitals. But, I think it's really funny that you share that urge to escape. Although I'm no longer surprised by these "coincidences". There have been too many along the way. It's one of the wonderful gifts that have made my life more meaningful than before. (Probably there before, just didn't notice.) So thank you for sharing your experience in a way that it made me feel OK about my little story, when I was afraid it would be disappointing.

    I never thought I had a book in me, but (another coincidence?) a friend recently read my blog and said something like "gosh, you should write more, I think a book." Maybe we could co-author a "how to" - like "Patient's Guide to Self-Discharge from Hospital (or Learn to Escape AMA)". I certainly could provide material on what doesn't work. Remember the time I claimed I had to pick up my 30-yr old son from kindergarten?

    Anyway, thank you for all of your encouraging comments. You definitely have been added to the list of blessings I've received - right at the top.

    I'll write again soon.

    More love & hugs back at ya!
    Lotus

     

Post a Comment

<< Home